Goji Berry Benefits And Recipe
I First discovered Goji berry from a chinese friend who puts it in her water bottle and said that it improves her eye sight and vision and also boosts her immune system. I did some research about it and was amazed on what this little fruit and it’s leaves are hiding for our health.
The recipe I am sharing bellow is a syrup that I made and unlike pharmaceutical antibiotics this can be taken everyday. I am so obsessed about it and my kids love it too.
For centuries the Chinese have used parts of the entire goji berries also known as the wolfberry, plant for food or medicine. They are extremely nutritionally dense and high in antioxidants. Claimed to enhance the immune system, improve eyesight and circulation, and protect the liver, Goji berries are truly a super food.
Nutrient breakdown of GOJI BERRIES | *per 100g ~5 tablespoons
Protein _ contain 18 amino acids (11 essential amino acids, making them a “complete” protein as well)
Healthy fats _ 5 unsaturated fatty acids including alpha-linolenic acid and linoleic acid
Vitamin C _ 35-163% DV
Vitamin A _ 7mg per 100g of beta-carotene
Vitamin B2 _ 100% DV
Calcium _10% DV
Zinc _ 18% DV
Selenium _91% DV
Iron _ 100% DV
Potassium _ 24% DV
Phytochemicals _ such as beta-carotene, zeaxanthin, lycopene, cryptoxanthin, lutein, and contain polysaccharides
The health benefits of Goji Berry
- Unique among fruits because they contain all essential amino acids, goji berries also have the highest concentration of protein of any other fruit in the whole planet
- Goji berries are also loaded with vitamin C, contain more carotenoids than any other food, have twenty-one trace minerals, and are high in fiber
- Boasting 15 times the amount of iron found in spinach, as well as calcium, zinc, selenium and many other important trace minerals, there is no doubt that the humble goji berry is a nutritional powerhouse that everyone should have in their pantry
- This amazing little superfruit also contains natural anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal compounds.
- Their powerful antioxidant properties and polysaccharides help to boost the immune system. It’s no wonder then, that in traditional Chinese medicine they are renowned for increasing strength and longevity and are consumed in high amounts.
- In traditional Chinese medicine, the goji is said to act on the Kidney and Liver meridians to help with lower back pain, dizziness and eyesight. They are most often consumed raw, made into a tea or extract, or as an ingredient in soups, smoothies, syrups and much more
How to Make A Goji berry immune system boosting syrup?
- ⅔ cup dried Goji berries ( get it here)
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric ( get it here)
- 1 lemon cut in half
- 3.5 cups of water
- 2 T fresh ginger root
- 3 cinnamon sticks ( get it here)
- 1 cup raw honey (get it here)
- 1 drop of ginger and lemon essential oils ( get them here)
- Pour water into medium saucepan and add goji berries, ginger, cinnamon, lemon, and turmeric
- Bring to a boil and then cover and reduce to a simmer for about 30 minutes
- Remove from heat and let cool enough to be handled. Pour through a strainer into a glass bowl
- Get ride of the cinnamon sticks and lemon. Put the rest in the blander and mix for few seconds. Add 1 cup of honey and mix well.
- When honey is well mixed into the goji beery mixture, pour the syrup into a pint sized mason jar or 16 ounce glass bottle of some kind. add the essential oils and make sure to keep the lead closed after usage
- Store in the fridge and take daily for its immune boosting properties
- Take 1 tsp for kids and 1 Tbsp for adults
Do you have any other homemade remedies for boosting the immune system? please share them in your comments
Be Sure To Pin It!