I am having so much fun making my everyday personal care products so far. I am saving money, can use different ingredients and use the final product without quilt. After making few recipes with success, I decided to gradually eliminate almost all commercial bought products. I still buy few products from Young Living, but I am trying to cut on the home, beauty and personal care products budget as much as I can.
When I first found out about the sentence “call poison control” in the commercial tooth paste, I decided it will never go into my or my family’s mouth. I started brushing my teeth with baking soda and was amazed with the freshness it leaves in my mouth. I then tried different recipes and this one I am sharing with you today, not only cleans and kept my teeth from getting cavities, but also I saw a tremendous change in my teeth color. They look whiter and brighter.
Overview about the main ingredients used in this recipe
Turmeric is known as the spice that stains your cutting board, cooking tools, and clothes. Well, surprisingly it’s very affective for natural teeth whitening. Some people can see a difference for the first use and some may see it overtime. I am not going to lie to you and tell you that you will get the fake look from the hollywood stars as those often got veneers, but I promise you that you will see and feel a difference. There is numerous studies done about the benefits of turmeric for our health. This one shows that it had a positive effect on gingival inflammation. Almost every DIY beauty recipe my mom use to make includes Turmeric. She is now sixty years old and you can barley see any fine lines in her face.
Botanical Clay is one of the best beauty and healthy food based ingredient you must have at home. Botanical clay is excellent for oral health, because it’s an excellent source of calcium, magnesium, and silica, all necessary for healthy enamel. It’s great for taking internally as a detox supplement once a week, just by mixing one teaspoon with water. It’s great for any skin condition and acne. Check out my clay face mask here.
Essential Oils this toothpaste can also be flavored using pretty much any edible, flavorful essential oil–just make sure the oil is authentically therapeutic grade (which, according to my research, would only be the Young Living brand). Read more about it here and treat yourself with their amazing premium stater kit. It’s the best value to get you started using their products.
Homemade whitening toothpaste recipe
- 4 tablespoons botanical clay ( I use this brand )
- 2 Tablespoons baking soda ( where to buy )
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon calcium powder ( Where to buy )
- 1/2 cup coconut oil ( where to buy )
- 1/2 cup almond oil (where to buy )
- 5 drops peppermint essential oil ( where to buy )
- 3 drops clove essential oil ( where to buy )
- Few drops of stevia for Test ( optional ). (where to buy )
- Mix all the dry ingredients together
- Melt the coconut oil in a double boiler. Remove out of the heat and add the almond oil.
- poor the mixture into the dry ingredients
- mix well and add the essential oils
Note: if you’re suffering from tooth decay and want to beat it naturally , you need to increase your fat soluble vitamin and mineral intake. If you want some ideas about a diet to follow, read these simple steps:
- Diet rich in animal foods like bone broth, meat, fish and eggs
- Raw and cooked vegetables especially green leafy vegetables
- Raw dairy like kefir, cheese and grass-fed butter ( If you tolerate them )
- low carb fruits like berries
- High vitamin D – get plenty of sunshine and days not in sun supplement with 5,000IU daily of D3
- Foods high in healthy fat like coconut oil, avocado, olives and fish or fermented cod liver oil
- Nuts, seeds
- NO processed food, packaged food or fast food
If you have any DIY oral care you like. Please feel free to share it in a comment.
Please be aware of the ingredients you use in your homemade recipes. The ones I recommend are all GMO free and organic. Also The essential oils I use are the high grade therapeutic oils from Young living Essential Oils.