Chicken and olive Tajine is one of the famous dishes in the Mediterranean food of north Africa. It ‘s mostly a special dish in Morocco and Algeria. I personally cook this dish at least once a week. The persevered lemon and olives add a special flavor to the chicken. This dish cooks best in a Tajine ( I have this one), but a stockpot is also good.
How to make chicken and olive Tajine
- 1 tbsp grass fed butter or ghee
- 4 chicken legs
- 1 onion, diced
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch saffron (1 tsp turmeric can be substituted)
- 1 teaspoon fresh shredded ginger
- 2 cups of water or homemade chicken broth
- 1/2 pound kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 preserved lemon (buy it here)
- 1 medium tomato
- Melt the fat in a large stockpot over medium heat
- Add in chicken and onion with a pinch of salt and pepper
- Sauté the chicken for 10 minutes until it starts to golden.
- Add the the saffron, cilantro, parsley, ginger and blended tomato
- Add in the water or chicken broth
- Simmer the chicken in the broth for 30 minutes uncovered
- Add the olives and lemon to the pot and cook for 15 more minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a baking dish and rost for 10minutes on medium broil.
- Put the chicken in a serving plate and poor the sauce on top
(always use organic produce and pasture raised animals for best taste and health!)
You may also like these recipes